An Unexpected Pickup

My first pickup of 2019 happened on New Year’s Day but what I didn’t expect was to pick up more than just a physical item.

New Year’s Eve an NES Classic (or NES Mini it’s sometimes called) popped up on the Facebook Marketplace for $40, only having been used a handful of times. Now don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an amazing deal since you can still get them at Target new for $60 but I’d been wanting one for a while and thought sure, why not. The listing had only been active for 4 hours and I figured my chance of getting it was pretty good. I reached out about availability and pretty quickly heard it was available and the seller asked when I could get it. I replied that I could likely come as soon as the next day as long as he had no New Year’s holiday plans but wanted to check with my wife. He said to let him know.

After talking with my wife I confirmed I could go grab it and sent him a message saying that. But I get no response. I didn’t think a lot of it, after all it was New Year’s Eve, and went on with my day. A couple hours passed and my phone buzzed with a message notification.

The listing had been set to “Sold.”

I sent the seller a message asking if it had been marked as “Sold” because of me or if he had sold it to someone else. Again, no response. For the rest of the night I had plans but I kept periodically checking for a response.

This isn’t the first time I’d been burned on Facebook Marketplace (if you’re a collector, you’ve probably been there) so I started to get upset. I even hovered my finger over the button that would have left negative feedback but told myself no, let’s wait it out and see one way or the other. The next morning I sent him one last message expecting to be met with silence, maybe even blocked.

As it turned out, he had in fact marked it as sold for me. When he responded he apologized but said he’d had more than fifty messages about it in the span of an evening and wanted to get people to stop messaging him. Truth be told, he ended up being a very nice person and even had plans to drive out to near me that day, making our meeting place only 10 minutes from me instead of the 30 I would have had to drive.

I don’t generally do New Year’s Resolutions, but one thing I had wanted to do this year was to be generally more positive, not to dwell on the negative things. In the end, this turned out ok and I didn’t need to worry at all. I think I’ll try to keep that approach this year.

What about you? Have you ever had a really bad trade experience? Tell me about it in the comments below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *